There is no doubt that homemade pizza is better than store-bought or delivery pizza. I do not mean pizza from a real (as opposed to a wannabe) gourmet pizza place like Pizzaria Gusto (which has tasty and creative pizzas). Store-bought or delivery pizza is either too greasy, cheap on toppings, or the crust is too thick. My mom makes awesome homemade thin-crust pizza from scratch.
Bake at 200 degrees F (crust only) and 375 degrees F (crust with toppings)
Yield: 3 thin-crust pizzas
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp lukewarm water
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oatmeal
1 can tomato paste
oregano spice to taste
3 cups shredded cheese of your choice (or more, depending how cheesy you like your pizza)
toppings vary (ex: spinach, mushrooms, onions, ham, pinapple, chicken, etc)
1. In a large mixing bowl, put in the flour. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the yeast and sugar.
2. Add the 2 tbsp water into the well and let foam.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the remaining water and oil.
4. Add the water and oil mixture, along with the rest of the ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir ingredients together.
5. Using your hands, knead the dough until even consistency, adding small amounts of water and/or flour. You want the dough to be wet, but so wet that it sticks uncontrollably to your hands.
6. Roll the dough into a ball shape and throw the dough (yes I said throw!) in against the bowl approximately 40 times. (WILL POST VIDEO SOON as I know this may cause some confusion… Throwing the dough replaces kneading it).
7. Roll dough into three balls and let rise for 15 min.
8. Roll each ball into the shape of pizza you would like to make (square, rectangular, circular) with a rolling pin, dough should be approximately 0.5cm thick.
9. Bake crust at 200 degrees F for approximately 5 minutes on a greased sheet, parchment paper lined sheet, or sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. (baking the crust on it’s own allows the crust to become sturdier. If you do not bake the thin crust before putting on all the toppings and baking it with everything on it, the crust is too soggy).
10. Let the crusts cool for 5 minutes and spread the tomato paste evenly on each. Sprinkle oregano on the tomato paste to taste. (may choose to use other spices as well).
11. Load on the toppings!
12. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30min.